By MATTHEW HOLT
It’s time for my favorite busman’s holiday of the year, the HIMSS global conference, held this year in the cultural wasteland of Orlando, Florida (which given its cultural competition is Las Vegas is saying something!). But there are only 2 places in the US with enough hotel rooms to deal with 45,000 hungry and thirsty Health IT people and they’re it!
I think this is my 22nd HIMSS. First was in 1994, but I missed one when I was sick in the 90s, and 2-3 when I was taking a long post-dotcom bust sabbatical in the early 00s. Suffice to say I know my way around and have a decent party invite list. But this year is different. I’m both a HIMSS quasi-staff member, since Health 2.0 is now a HIMSS brand doing VentureConnect this year, AND I’m a vendor client with a booth for my SMACK.health advisory service program, which will be featuring several of our clients and a couple of special guests (or clients in waiting?).
So who will you see in booth #5594 at HIMSS?
First up the incomparable Jessica DaMassa will be interviewing all and sundry for her WTF Health specials. I’ll be stealing her camera for some THCB spotlights and we’ll also be recording segments for our forthcoming podcast HardCore Health. Then there’ll be a whole gang of super exciting tech companies and in no particular order with my (and not their quick summaries) here’s who they are:
- SurveyorHealth — Super clever AI that optimizes medication management by fixing complex drug regimens, saving $$ and lives
- BlueStream Health — Revolutionary, always-on telehealth network
- CaptureProof — A visual medical record changing the game in ortho, derm, + + +
- SAFE App — an STD lab test system hidden behind the coolest consumer app that will really help bring transparency to “dating” by sharing your STD status
- Happego — Have you heard of psychological priming to create behavior change? This app does it at scale with no effort on the users part. Mindfulness made easy!
- Ouchie – An app and community to help patients track, manage & beat chronic pain
- Dot.Health — The home of the “.health” domain extension (come get yours!)
- Tag.bio — Putting the power of data science into the hands of clinicians and researchers
- InPharmD – “Siri for pharmacists,” bringing the most important lit searches to the end user
- Visolyr — Interoperability-as-a-service for health care organizations
4 of these companies will be demoing at any one given time. Plus we will have the most fun furniture in the exhibit hall, and the only booth featuring a Unicorn Straddling during interviews. Come see us at booth 5594!
If you want to know more, the ringmaster is Zoya Khan.
Matthew is the Founder of The Health Care Blog and is the President of SMACK.health